Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 1- Operation Haiti

We made it safe and sound! I can't believe that am once again in Haiti. It all seems so familiar, like another home. After foregoing sleep last night and catching a 6 am flight, we arrived intact after 3 uneventful flights. Our courier met us at the airport and took four suitcases of diapers and pads, and infant clothing. Kicko, my Haitian son, also met us there and I presented him with a refurbished laptop and an I-phone. It was so great to see him. He looked great- maybe a little skinny. Our host was also there to meet us and we all piled into the tap-tap (along with Kicki- we gave him a lift- he lives in Petionville where we happen to be staying). We arrived at a lovely air-conditioned mansion to a lovely dinner made by the Haitian cook. We had a meeting to decide who would go to Leogone in the mountains for the week and who would stay here in Port au Prince and work. Our team was split in half. Pam and I will go into the mountains tomorrow morning. Rebecca and Jessie were dissapointed to be left here (in the air-conditioning) but they will have a busy week here as well. I'm off to bed, very much sleep deprived, and am hoping for internet in the mountains so I can keep up this blog. Haiti is beautiful. Her people are beautiful. I remind us all that we are here to not only give, but to receive- the love of the Haitians, the beauty of the land, and the ceaseless grace of our creator.

No comments: