Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Breast Roadtrip Ever

I spent the day today, trailing a local lactation consultant (one of only about 50 African-American LCs countrywide!). I spent the day watching her do what they keep telling me can't be done- increasing breastfeeding rates in the African-American community. Next week I hope to observe a caucasian LC doing the same thing in an urban hospital. Both visits will be documented and added to my literature review for my thesis. The topic: The impact of lactation on infant mortality rates in the African-American population. I slipped away at noon to lunch with the midwife who worked across the hall in the OB clinic. She took me to a great new vegan restaurant called Seed. I had the best veggie burger ever, and got to listen to the midwife tell me all about her plans to start a birth center. I want a piece of that dream. Tomorrow I hit the road at 6am to travel across the state to attend the Missouri Breastfeeding Taskforce meeting in St. Louis. I'm excited to meet up with my fellow 'breast enthusiasts' from across the state. I also attend the meetings for the Kansas Breastfeeding Taskforce since Kansas City staddles both states. My 'breast buddy' Charlene and I hope to get both groups to do a joint conference here. Not looking forward to the drive, but excited to be with my statewide peeps.

No comments: