Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

News

Louisa aka Mama Midwife came to visit my class of OB nursing students. She was wonderful. The students loved her storytelling, and her video of her waterbirth, and her sweet little baby boy. She was fab.

World Breastfeeding Week (Aug. 1-7) has come and gone. I usually write a letter to the editor of the local paper, but I was busy and forgot. What I did do was attend a very nice educational event that the Breastfeeding Committee I sit on, planned for our annual event. We had a local midwife speak on breastfeeding during a disaster. It was a superb presentation about the role of lactation during disaster planning. I was downright inspired! I've been toying with writing a curriculum ever since! I've spent enough time with disaster planners now (when I did speaking for pay last year) to know they don't know squat about maternal/child health as it relates to disaster planning.

Attended a local meeting a of new group forming here in KC. It's called the Kansas City Birth Network. It's a unique idea by some of my birth community cronies (I really am fortunate to live in a city with such an active birth and lactation community). The group of birth professionals meets monthly to hold a forum for the public and answer questions and present little mini seminars about birth and lactation related issues. The first meeting drew a nice little crowd of pregs and new mamas. The best part of attending meetings like that is the networking that happens afterward, and just being around 'my kind.'

No comments: