Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Rebel with a Cause

I'm here in Monterey California at MANA 2009 sitting on white sand beaches, in temporate weather, contemplating my role in materal infant health in the United States. What mark will I leave on future generations of mothers and babies? I came here to see and hear my heroes in the cause, only to hear how overwhelmed they sound and defeated they sometimes feel. Still I must take up the charge. Morningstar's book, "The Power of Women" is making it's debut here at the conference. I make a solemn vow to myself, that next year, I'll be sitting at the author's table. People have begun to approach me about 'my work'. So far my work has been verbal and written, now I feel the universe telling me its time to get some skin in the game. I have an idea for a pilot program, to increase utilization of prenatal care for high risk women. I have to secure funding from somewhere, and I have to coax the powers that be to partner with me. Now that I sit on the FIMR board, I can use it as a jumping off place. I've been offered a leadership role on the Health Commission. There are lighthouses here- beacons of light and hope to ships lost in dark and dangerous waters. How do I shine a light on the darkness of infant mortality?

No comments: