Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Breast Lecture Ever

Today is my lecture on lactation. I have two giant breast pillows to discuss anatomy. I have a breastfeeding bingo game I made to discuss benefits. I have a brand new $260 video from INjoy to highlight correct technique. I have posters, infant models, anatomical drawings of breasts in full color to introduce all my content. I think I'm ready. This lecture delights my soul because I usually make at least a few converts, but there are always the resisters. The trick is to deliver a message that touts the virtues of lactation without making those who did not choose it feel guilty. Why does this induce guilt and defensiveness??? I can't think of another topic that impacts folks with quite this intensity (on a day when we also discuss human sexuality, abortion, contraception, teen pregnancy...). My goal is to enthrall students with the wonders of mother's milk, and equip them with basic skills to support the newly breastfeeding mother. I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

Rachel @ Lautaret Bohemiet said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do a marvelous job.

And I hear you... there are a few topics that just get people feeling badly, and I think it's because they DO recognize the benefits and, well, regret not using them!