Labor Repose

Labor Repose
LaborPayne during her 6th homebirth (9th baby) at age 44

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Home Stretch to Haiti

The hunt is truly on for a bigger suitcase. The response on such short notice has been truly overwhelming. I think everything really can fit into one suitcase, but it must be a very large one. I will pack all donations into the one suitcase, and put my things into one small carry-on. I really am good at packing light, and besides I hate hauling a bunch of stuff around airports. Haiti will be an adventure. I've decided to wait until I'm there to decide if I will visit the midwifery school or birth center I've been invited to (they are on opposite sides of Port au Prince and both require an expensive chartered plane ride). When I went to get my malaria pill prescription yesterday, the nurse practitioner I saw, told me about her many trips to Haiti, and gave me more good advice. I have discovered so many connections between Haiti and Kansas City over the past two weeks. At a meeting yesterday, I was asked if I would be visiting Frank Vaughters facility (he was a much beloved Kansas City pediatrician that died in Haiti during the earthquake), but I have no news or contacts to his facility in Haiti.

I feel humbled and greatly sobered by this experience. I don't know if I'll be up to the task, or if an L&D nurse will be useful. (They really need surgical nurses, orthopedic nurses, wound care nurses). All I know is I will go with an open heart and do my best.

No comments: